Saturday, December 15, 2012

Newtown, Connecticut shooting



Google





It is a sad day, an event that one cannot wrap their heads around. My heart is filled with grief and I realised that my sadness must be a small thing compared to what the families of Newtown, Connecticut must be feeling.

A lone man of 20 years old, feeling and thinking what ever he must, to walk into an elementary school- here in Botswana we call it a Primary School- and start shooting. 20 young children in the ages of 5 to 10 years old killed by this young man. 6 adults were also murdered.

One of the adults, the principal of the Sandy Hook Elementary Dawn Hochsprung had just recently implemented new security measures at the school but that seemed to not helped as the shooter was able to enter and move to the administration offices.

America is now starting to debate the issue of gun control, as has been done in previous shootings. But I don't know if gun control will stop the mass killings that seem to have plagued the USA. I think part of it must be the mental state of the people, their family background. I mean the shooter from Sandy Hook had guns that his mother owned. Why did a woman own 3 pistols and a rifle gun? I feel questions like these must be asked and answers given to get to the bottom of the crisis.

No comments: